What you need to know

ES: Haz click aqui para ver la información en español.
PT: Clique aqui para ver as informações em português.

The UK left the European Union in December 2020. If you are an EU citizen or a dependent of one, and you arrived in the UK before the 31st of December 2020, you still retain your rights to live, work and study in this country. 

However, to retain these rights beyond the 30th of June 2021, you must apply to the EU-Settlement Scheme before that date. 

The application is free of charge and can be done online on your phone. If you need support to complete the application, please contact any of the organisations below.

To apply, please go to:

Información sobre el EU Settlement Scheme

Informações sobre EU Settlement Scheme

What is the EU-Settlement Scheme?

As the UK has left the European Union (EU), it no longer has freedom of movement with other EU countries. The scheme processes the applications of EU citizens currently living in the UK to allow them to remain in the UK after Brexit went live on 21 January 2020.

Anyone currently living in the UK who is an EU citizen or dependent of one will have to apply to the EU Settlement Scheme by 30 June 2021 in order to be allowed to stay in the country.

Successful applicants will be given either settled or pre-settled status.

People who are granted settled status will only need to apply to the EU Settlement Scheme once. Settled status will grant a person the same rights to healthcare, education, benefits and pensions as a British citizen.

If you have not been in the UK for the five years that the scheme requires, you will be awarded pre-settled status, which will allow you to stay in the UK until you have been here for 5 continuous years. Then, you will need to claim settled status.

Anyone who doesn’t apply by this deadline when they should have will no longer be living in the country.

The UK government has said that these people don’t have to apply to the scheme:

British citizens

Irish citizens

Those born in the UK who have at least one parent with settled status

People entitled to permanent residency in the UK

IMPORTANT: If you are a relative or a family member of a european citizen and you apply to the EU-Settlement Scheme without an european passport, you will recieve a biometric residence permit.

How do I prove my status?

Visit and prove your status online.

In order to do so, you need to enter your date of birth and the number of the identification you used to make your application. This will generate a code that you can share with an employer or a landlord and they will be able to see your status online.

I don’t speak english: How can I translate a website?

If you need help translating the website of the GP, you could use Google Translate. This tool allows you to translate a complete webpage, just copy the link in the translator and use the link that will appear in the translated area.